Friday, September 14, 2012

Trip to Carlos David's House

A couple of weeks ago, the parents of one of my 5th graders, Carlos David, asked if I wanted to come over to eat with them.  I was very excited when I agreed, but afterwards I got so nervous realizing that I was going to have to actually carry on a conversation with them.  If you know me, you know how difficult that can be in English sometimes, let alone another culture and language.  However, the dad speaks English, and when I went to their house on Thursday night it was very easy to converse.  He was not only very talkative, but he had also taught English for a while and had traveled to Israel and to Boston, where he had to speak English.  We talked about the culture and their family.  He told me of many beautfiul places in the Dominican Republic.  They also invited me to go to another town in the countryside with them this Wednesday.  We will go visit his mother and then go to a Bible study in another place.  I am so excited to go with them, they are a neat family.  He is an engineer and she is a doctor or nurse (not exactly sure because she doesn't speak English . . . I guess I am going to have to pracitce my Spanish with her :).  They have 2 kids - Carlos David and Amber, a third grader.  They grew up in the Catholic church and she was a nun for a while.  Then they left the Catholic church.  I am not sure where they go to church now, but I think that they are believers.  It is always exciting to see how God is working/has worked in other people's lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment