Saturday, January 9, 2016

   I finally made it!  After finding out that I had strep throat on Monday, I had to postpone my flight a couple days, so instead of flying out on Tuesday (Jan. 5) I left on Thursday (Jan. 7).  Southwest Airlines was great about changing my ticket and I didn’t have to pay anything.  I have to say, after a really busy weekend, it was nice to have the extra 2 days with my family.
   During my send-off service on Sunday (and in my last prayer letter), I shared several prayer requests regarding my trip.  Thank you to all of you who texted, e-mailed, or told me in person that you were praying.  That meant so much.  I was really able to see the Lord’s hand in so many of the details of my trip.  Here are just a few blessings:
1.)  Timing - His timing was good for me to leave Thursday.  As I said above, it was so nice to have those extra 2 days with my family after a really crazy week/weekend.  Also, I had really wanted to go to basketball game of one of the girls from my church (whom I used to babysit a long, long time ago J) because it is her senior year of high school.  However, I had not been able to up to that point, so the extra 2 days allowed me to see her play.
2.)  Flight - The flight I ended up taking was better.  It went through Atlanta instead of Chicago, so a lot less air time. Also, because I was going through Atlanta, I had just enough time to go through security to say goodbye to my best friend and former roommate from when I taught in Georgia.   That was a special blessing.
3.)  Luggage - When I got to the airport, they almost didn’t let me take all 7 of my bags.  They thought there was an embargo on how many/what type of bags you could fly into Punta Cana (i.e. I wouldn’t be able to take my 5 tote boxes, so only my suitcase and guitar would be going). I knew that I had already okayed it with the airlines, I just wasn’t sure I was going to be able to convince the people at the counter of that so I started planning what I could take out of my totes and stick into my suitcase.  Eventually they realized that the embargo did not apply to the Dominican Republic.
4.)  Customs - I was really nervous about how I was going to pick up all 7 pieces of luggage by myself in Punta Cana and get them through customs.  I knew I was going to have to find someone to help me, and I was not excited about it.  Probably one of the hardest things for me to adjust to culturally is being “pushy” when you need something.  I really prayed on the plane that the Lord would bring along someone who would help me, that I wouldn’t have to learn to be “pushy” right off the bat, and that I would make it through customs without having to answer 50 million questions about why I was bringing so much stuff since I was flying into a tourist airport.  (You might be laughing right now and wondering how I have the courage to move halfway across the world on my own but am afraid to go through customs and ask for help.  I know…it’s ridiculous!  But it’s my personality.  This was a serious stress for me!  Yes, I did lose a little sleep over it on the plane.)  After the plane landed, I went through immigration and headed over to collect my luggage.  I saw a few cleaning ladies sitting on a bench and asked them if they knew of someone who could help me.  They found someone right away.  I think he must have been the nicest, most helpful person I’ve ever met (ok, that might be an exaggeration but he seemed like it at the moment because I was so relieved to have found someone to help willingly).  He and another guy retrieved all my bags, loaded them on to a cart for me, took me through customs (where the officials didn’t ask ANY questions…they didn’t even collect my customs paper, they just opened my totes and looked in them before sending me on my way), and brought me all the way to meet Mike and Annie (and my friend Kristin) who were all waiting for me.  I just could not get over how God had answered that prayer.  He didn’t have to do that!  He didn’t have to give me any of these wonderful blessings that I listed.  But that’s who my God is…One who delights in answering the prayers of His children…because He loves them!  He doesn’t always answer in that manner, but this particular time it served as a great reminder to me of how much He loves me and is taking caring of even the little things.

Thanks again for all your prayers.  I will update you on the ministry after the weekend.

3 comments:

  1. Praise the Lord! It is such a special blessing to see all His answers to prayer great and small! May these wonderful ways God's shown His faithfulness be something you look back on in the future and be encouraged by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole... thank you for posting about God's providential hand. His planning and His execution is truly spot on! Prayers for you and your ministry in Dominican Republic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome girl!!! So happy for you! God is amazing praising God and praying for you!! Love ya miss u already

    ReplyDelete