Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Good Byes


It seems like there are good-byes at every step of the road.  And none are easy.  Good-bye to family.  Good-bye to friends and church family.  Of course, there is a hello on the other end as I arrive at volleyball camp or the DR or wherever the place of ministry might be.  But then eventually there is good-bye to those to whom I have had the privilege of ministering.  No matter when or where, I’ve learned that good-byes are not my favorite. 
But I have learned a few things that have helped me tremendously as I begin to adjust to this life of constant hellos and good-byes. 
1.       God never calls us to more than we can handle.  His grace has proved sufficient in times of homesickness and struggle. 
2.       It is a hundred times easier to say good-bye when you know that you are being obedient to what God has called you to.  I have said good-bye, still doubtful if I was doing the right thing, and I have said good-bye 100% confident that I was right where God had called me.  In the former, I stepped out in fear, terrified of what was to come; in the latter, I stepped out with confidence, knowing in whom I had believed and in whose hand the future was held.   Both types of good-byes held tears, but one of fear the other of momentary sadness.
3.       And last, but not least, good-byes are not forever.  For the most part, I will see all those precious faces again in a few short months after saying good-bye.  But if not, this life is not the end!  What a joyous reuniting that will be one day in Heaven!
All-in-all, I can’t say that I like good-byes; but I am learning to stop dreading the good-bye and the times that will be missed and to start treasuring every moment to the fullest – enjoying the laughs and good times with family and taking advantage of every opportunity to share the Gospel, not knowing if it might be my last.
As I said good-bye last week to those I have grown to love so much in Concho Primo, there was still a twinge of sadness, still a few nagging thoughts of “I wonder how big Yariel will be when I get back. . .” and “Will I be able to pick up right where I left off with Isabela and Leidy when I get back?”  But right behind those thoughts, was the calm assurance that I am simply obeying the Master’s commands.  It is in His hands.  He knows exactly when I will be able to return and what the ministry will be like when I do.  Nothing surprises Him.  I am so thankful for yet another demonstration of His overwhelming grace in my life.  He daily gives me more than I deserve, and in this case, it comes in the form of peace – peace that passes understanding.  He doesn’t have to give it.  He just does because that’s His nature: He is good.
“Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.”

No comments:

Post a Comment